Knee Walker FAQ
Questions about Knee Scooters.
- • What is a knee scooter?
- • What is a knee walker used for?
- • Knee walker or crutches?
- • How do I choose a model?
- • Can I use a knee scooter outside?
- • Should I rent or buy?
Questions about Knee Scooter rental.
- • How does it work?
- • When will my knee walker arrive?
- • How do I return it?
- • Is there a deposit?
- • What if I need to extend the rental?
- • Do you accept insurance?
- • How much assembly is required?
- What is a knee walker/knee scooter?
- You may have seen people sporting a cast, carrying on daily activities with the help of a fun looking device that is called a knee walker (or knee scooter). Knee scooters first made an appearance as an ambulatory walking aid just over 30 years ago and are a fantastic alternative to crutches since they do not require upper body strength to operate and allow more independence to the user. Knee scooters are also more stable and less painful to use than crutches, giving them the upperhand on safety and convenience.
- What are they used for?
- These mobile assistive devices are best used for /learn-about-nonweight-bearing-medical-conditions such as below-the-knee sprains, fractures, diabetic foot conditions, Charcot foot, etc. There are many surgeries that also require non-weight bearing rest periods, including Achilles tendon ruptures, ankle replacements, hammertoe operations and bunionectomies.
- Is a knee walker better than crutches?
- Leg scooters are also customizable with options to attach cup holders, mount cell-phones, and decorate. Have you ever attempted to hold a drink while handling crutches? Chances are, that drink either ended up on the floor, or you had to use a friend’s available hands. The independence that knee walkers provide versus other mobility methods is unmatched, making them a much-preferred option to crutches.
- How do I choose a model?
- With our quick quiz or comparison guide, you may be able to quickly find the right model for you. Because everyone is an individual with different needs, there are multiple options for knee scooters that can fulfill one’s specifications. Here are some questions to keep in mind when choosing a model.
- What if I can’t put weight on my knees?
- Not everyone can support themselves on their knee. We have multiple seated scooters like our Gemini Seated Knee Scooter or Evolution Seated Scooter. These models keep the injured leg non-weight bearing while the user remains seated.
- I live/work in a tight space, is a knee scooter still an option?
- Some of our models have better turn radius’s than others. If you live in an apartment then you may want to consider one of our premium models, like the Swivelmate. This model also allows ease in common places like restrooms and kitchens.
- Can I use a knee scooter outside?
- Yes, all of our models can be used outside. Our Orthomate All Terrain Knee Scooter may be a better option if you are constantly outside. It allows users to navigate different terrains with ease due to its larger, air filled tires
- Should I rent or buy?
- Renting knee walkers has become a popular option versus buying, due to most conditions only requiring rest for a minimum of four weeks. Buying can be a better option for more long-term conditions, or if the assistive needs can be accomplished by a cheaper knee scooter option.
Questions about Knee Scooter rental.
- How does it work?
- Renting a scooter for your leg injury is simple! Choose your model, enjoy your scooter, then return with the provided shipping.
- When will my knee walker arrive?
- We offer free delivery for rentals that arrive anywhere from 1-3 days depending on your location. Use our Shipping Calculator to find out how fast we can get it to you.
- How do I return it?
- Keep the original box, inside you will be provided with a return label. You can drop the box off at the end of your rental to any UPS store location, or anywhere with daily UPS pick up. We can also arrange for UPS to come to your home for pickup, where a small fee may apply.
- Is there a deposit?
- What if I need to extend my rental?
- Contact us by phone: 877-520-3708 or email to let us know how long you would like to extend for, and we will process to the credit card information on file (or you can provide a new one). All rental fees apply toward the purchase of your rental unit if you are worried about cost effectively.
- Do you accept insurance?
- We are considered an out of network provider just like the other online knee walker rental companies. We can accept Flex Spending or HSA cards for payment but do not file claims directly to the insurance companies. If it is something you are covered for, you may be able to submit a claim yourself for direct reimbursement.
We recommend contacting your insurance company to inquire what your coverage options for knee walkers, or billing code E0118. That stands for "lower leg platform, with or without wheels" which is what all knee walkers or knee scooters are categorized under.
Please note we are not a Medicare or Medicaid provider.
- How much assembly is required?
- This depends on the model selected. Our Swivelmate Knee Walker or Roscoe Knee Scooter don’t require any assembly, whereas the Free Spirit Knee Walker or KneeRover All Terrain Knee Walker require the handlebars and wheels to be put on. All assembly is quick and easy and of course full instructions are provided.